The complete rosary is composed of twenty decades, divided into four distinct parts, each containing five decades. The first part consists of five joyful events in the life of Jesus and Mary, the second part recalls events from Jesus' ministry that illuminate his mission, the third considers sorrowful events, and the fourth part considers five glorious events.
We begin by making the Sign of the Cross.
Then we say the Apostles' Creed, one Our Father, three Hail Marys, and one Glory to the Father (Prayer of Praise) on the small chain. Then recall the first mystery, say one Our Father, ten Hail Marys, and one Glory to the Father. This complete one decade. All the other decades are said in the same manner with a different mystery meditated during each decade. At the end of the rosary, the prayer Hail, Holy Queen may be recited.
The mysteries of the rosary are scene from the life of Jesus and Mary. By meditating on these sublime truths, we come to a better understanding of our religion: the Incarnation and the ministry of the Lord, the Redemption, and the Christian life - present and future.
The Joyful Mysteries
1. The messenger of God announces to Mary that she is to be the Mother of God.
2. Mary visits and helps her cousin Elizabeth.
3. Mary gives birth to Jesus in a stable in Bethlehem.
4. Jesus is presented in t he Temple.
5. Jesus is found in the Temple
The Luminous Mysteries
1. Jesus is baptized in the Jordan
2. Jesus' self-manifestation at the wedding in Cana.
3. Jesus proclaims the kingdom of God.
4. Jesus' Transfiguration.
5. Jesus institutes the Eucharist as the sacramental expression of the paschal mystery.
The Sorrowful Mysteries
1. Jesus undergoes his agony in the Garden of Gethsemane.
2. Jesus is scourged at the pillar
3. Jesus is crowned with thorns.
4. Jesus carries the cross to Calvary.
5. Jesus dies on the cross for our sins.
The Glorious Mysteries
1. Jesus rises from the dead.
2. Jesus ascends into heaven.
3. The Holy Spirit comes to the apostles and the Bless Mother.
4. The Mother of Jesus is taken into heaven.
5. Mary is crowned queen of heaven and earth.